Explains why some readers fail to understand print and offers suggestions for achieving the annual target as well as for establishing literacy across the curriculum in upper primary and secondary schools.
There are workshop sessions on strategies for improving reading comprehension which also help children improve their written work.
INSET covers strategies for teaching pupils how to:
- Build a mental model of text
- Make inferences and use background knowledge
- Understand text organisation
- Get to the main idea in the text
- Monitor their own comprehension
- Build vocabulary
- Understand story structure
- Understand narratives and expository texts
1 school day - approximately 5 hours